Click on the images to see a larger version.

All of the images on this site are copyrighted material and may not be used without written permission of the owner. If you would like to use or purchase prints any of these images, please visit Full Moon Photography for more information.

All of the images here have been reduced in size to at least 1/6 the original and then compressed for display.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Dead Dragonfly Close Up

My cat Sydney brought my attention to this dragonfly which had died just outside my back door. I thought it would make a good subject to use to experiment with the macro-bellows I had purchased a few months ago. Note how the legs are curled up in rigor mortis. I do like how the catchlight in the insect's eye(s) is hexagonal. This is due to the light reflecting from the many hexagonal lenses that make up it's compound eye.

Canon 20D - 10 seconds, f/ 22, ISO 100, Bellows @ ~50mm, yielding a life-sized image on the camera's sensor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Nice closeup. Good focus. Thank the cat for me! I had shot a Damselfly shortly after I got my 20D about 2 years ago out in Madera Canyon. The shot was almost annoying because the reflection in the eyes appeared out of focus for the same reason it does in your picture here - it was the way the sky reflected on the eyes that made it look that way.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tuguldur said...

hay, very nice close up! Nice to see your shots back again on your blog! :)

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home