Click on the images to see a larger version.

All of the images on this site are copyrighted material and may not be used without written permission of the owner. If you would like to use or purchase prints any of these images, please visit Full Moon Photography for more information.

All of the images here have been reduced in size to at least 1/6 the original and then compressed for display.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Collared Peccary

A.k.a. Javelina, Tayaussa or Musk Hog, this one was headed in my direction, not more than 25 feet away. I was taking more bird pics in my front yard, where there is water when I heard some grunts to my right. I spotted this Javelina, along with two others, heading right for me. Apparently they were coming over for a drink. I started snapping shots, and while they have good hearing, the sound of the mirror slapping and shutter opening and closing did not deter them. I continued to watch them and take more shots, but knowing they have poor eyesight, but sharp teeth and tusks, I decided once they got too close for my comfort it was time to make my presence known. I moved back a few feet and the hair on their backs went straight up and they ran... Thankfully it was away from me, not at me! Canon 20D - 1/800th, 300mm @ f/10, ISO 400

3 Comments:

Blogger CameraDawktor said...

I am so glad you posted this picture. I have never saw one when i've been down there. In fact, the last time we were there my husband tried to convince me that javalina's are fiction!!! It would be so amazing to see one in the flesh...way to go!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

From what I've read, Javelinas are the only wild boars in North America (as opposed to feral pigs). They clearly don't like human contact as they didn't walk away, but ranm and kept running until they were out of sight, once they knew I was there, so not seeing one is not a big surprise I guess. I'll be keeping a watch for their return to my water, but hopefully not so close next time!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I was hiking around Kitt Peak about 15 years ago with my old trusty Pentax K1000 when I spotted a pack of Javelinas about 100 feet away & started chasing them - they ran faster than me and the only picture I got of them was a distant grainy one.... With my 20D and 70-300mm zoom, I'd probably get something a little better today.... Nice shot, BTW!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home