Click on the images to see a larger version.

All of the images on this site are copyrighted material and may not be used without written permission of the owner. If you would like to use or purchase prints any of these images, please visit Full Moon Photography for more information.

All of the images here have been reduced in size to at least 1/6 the original and then compressed for display.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Orion over the 60" dome

I tried a different angle than I usually shoot for animations during this past run at the 60" I was hoping to catch a few Orionid meteors as well as the dome rotating in the series but I didn't have much success. The meteors are called "Orionids" because the radiant, or constellation they seem to be coming from is Orion, the Hunter. Orion is one constellation that almost everyone knows and can been seen everywhere on Earth since it stradles the celestial equator. This time of year Orion can be seen climbing over the eastern horizon a few hours before midnight.
Canon 20D - 30 seconds, 20mm @ f /1.8, ISO 800

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Ah, O'Ryan the Irishman.... :-) I didn't get as many Orionids as I had hoped for in my timelapse as well, though I did get around a dozen and I did see probably 2 trains slowly disippate (one was certainly a train from a meteor, though small, and the 2nd may have been but the meteor, if it was, happened in between exposures....). I'll have to show you my images and movies when you're in town sometime.....

2:05 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

The peak was anywhere from a night to a week early this year. I was seeing Orionids all over the place when I was at the Schmidt last weekend. Steve caught a train that covered 3 survey fields of the Schmidt (more than 9 degrees)

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home