Click on the images to see a larger version.

All of the images on this site are copyrighted material and may not be used without written permission of the owner. If you would like to use or purchase prints any of these images, please visit Full Moon Photography for more information.

All of the images here have been reduced in size to at least 1/6 the original and then compressed for display.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cardinalis sinuatus


Pyrrhuloxia is a Grosbeak that looks a lot like the Northern Cardinal, but as you can see, this male is mostly gray with red as opposed to the all red Cardinal males. Pyrrhuloxia are year round residents of souteast Arizona, southern New Mexico and Texas and their range extends down through Mexico.
After a short, late afternoon nosh, this male is captured immediately after leaving my feeder, with its flapping wings at the bottom of its power stroke. Canon 20D - 1/1600th, 70mm @ f/5.6, ISO 800, cropped ~ 1/10 full frame

3 Comments:

Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Cardinals are one of my FAVORITES! That is amazing how you could get it in flight and the wings not be blurry!

8:26 AM  
Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Oh dah....now I'm looking closer and its a pyroloxia. I should know better...guess my heads still rummy from my head cold. it's cool anyway though!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I had a male Cardinal at my feeder this afternoon, but when I returned with the camera, he took off before I could get the camera pointed. I like Cardinals too, but I've wanted to see Pyrrhuloxia for a long time.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home